This dish could provide you with your daily requirement for calcium in just one meal. It also, luckily, happens to be delicious (and vegan of course) 🙂
These quantities serve one so just do the maths. It sounds like a lot of green veg (good!) but it will wilt down.
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 125g firm tofu (set with calcium)
- handful chopped mushrooms
- 1 red chili
- 1 cup finely chopped kale
- 1 cup finely sliced bok choi
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon miso
Place the rice in a saucepan and cover with twice as much boiling water and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
After 20 minutes put the kale in a steamer over the rice
Heat a wok with a little flavourless oil and quickly fry the tofu, mushrooms and chilli.
When the kale is cooked to your liking stir in the spinach and bok choi and then add to the wok with the soy sauce and miso. Mix well – you want to leave a little moisture from the steamed kale to make a little sauce with the miso and soy.
When the rice is ready serve and enjoy 🙂
Where do you get your calcium?
- Tofu – what is it? (thetalkingscale.typepad.com)
- 5 Healthy Ways to Get Your Recommended Daily Intake of Calcium without Dairy (onegreenplanet.org)
- Warming Miso Ramen with Broccoli, Cauliflower and Carrots (thestoutsprout.wordpress.com)